Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Books and Reykjavik street art June-August 2016

Books and Reykjavik street art  June-August 2016


Reykjavik is filled with street murals, many of which are commissioned by the owners of the wall.  This goldfish is in the shape of Iceland as a commentary on Icelanders memory. 


-by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon
Two Brothers:  Graphic novel based on the novel by Milton Hatoum.  I picked this up at Free Comic Book Day because the cover is so amazing.  Then read the blurb and realized it was set in Manaus and had to buy it.  Turns out to be as good as the cover promised.  These two have written other graphic novels together as well-now they are on my 'to-read' list!

-by Gillen / McKelvie / Wilson / Cowles
The Wicked + The Divine:  Also bought on FCBD.  Good story about how the Gods show up every 90 years and only live for a few.  Basically there is interesting trouble which makes for good stories.


-by Ursula LeGuin
Earthsea series: I couldn't pass this up when it appeared as a reading challenge.  I love the whole set so much that my favorite book is whichever one I am reading.

-by JK Rowling
Harry Potter series: Again a reading challenge that I couldn't pass up.  Turns out it has been years since I read the books and now remember the movies better.  And they are good...but the books are better!


-by Raina Telgemeier
Drama:  Graphic novel for early middle schoolers.  Love it!  POV of 7th grade Callie who is in charge of the set for the school play.  But layered on top is the drama of relationships.

-by Sy Montgomery
The Soul of an Octopus:  The title says it all-learning about the intelligence of octopuses (apparently octopi is not a thing, because Latin).  Some science of the octopus written into an almost novel.  I'm not sure I will ever eat one again-she brought them to life as companion animals.


-by Rainbow Rowell
Fangirl:  I read this and Carry On, Simon in the 'wrong' order.  I think it is the 'better' order, but it doesn't matter.  I will read everything by Rainbow Rowell!

-by Graeme Simsion
The Rosie Project:  This one has me actually laughing out loud so much that the guy sitting next to me on the airplane had to ask what I was reading.  Love from the point of view of an autistic man.


-by Rachel Hartman
Seraphina:  YA novel of dragons and humans and half dragons.  Lovely world building.  Read this in Iceland :)

-by Erika Swyler
The Book of Speculation: I really like the story line and writing...except for the protagonist who is a whiny loser-meh.


-by Jens Voigt (with James Startt)
Shut Up Legs!  Everyone's favorite cyclist (well, he should be) is funny and full of great stories.  This straightforward autobiography tells you how he became a professional cyclist and what he experiences as a cyclist.  Fast and fun but maybe not of interest if you don't follow the sport.

-by Ann Leckie
Ancillary Justice: Part I of a Sci-Fi trilogy.  Well written and interesting perspective, will definitely be reading the rest of the series, just need to decide if it will be physical books (wait list at the library) or e-book, not quite as satisfying for some reason in my mind.

Not technically a mural, more like a mosaic.

-by John Burdett
The Bangkok Asset:  The next in the series...I'm not sure I really like these, but apparently I keep reading them!

-by Brene Brown
Rising Strong:  She has the famous TED talk on Shame and this one popped out at me at the library.  I love her stories and I like the message, but if you want to take action on the ideas you might do well to work with someone.

-by Ursula Le Guin
The Other Wind:  Very last one in the Earthsea series and didn't get to it until after the others.  I thought I had read this before and just didn't love it as much as the others in the series...but I was totally wrong, had never read this before and now really love the way it concludes the whole series.

You line up the seal outline with the Halgrimska church (a block away)!


-by Laurie King
Locked Rooms (Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell):  Another series that I love.  Love this book for the usual characters, but a very different setting,

-by Martin Seligman
Learned Optimism:  One of the best self-help books I've read.  Manages to be entertaining and useful.  Only drawback is it was written in the early 90's.  I feel I should catch up on his recent stuff to see what happened in the studies that were in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment