Thursday, May 10, 2018

Books and spring wild flowers April - June 2017

Books and spring wild flowers  April - June 2017

The flowers are from a hike in Steven's Creek Park

-by Terry Pratchet-continuing to work my way through the Discworld
Mort: Death gets an apprentice, trouble ensues.
Sourcery: Wizard magic vs Sourcer magic-leave Rincewind and the Luggage in a cliffhanger.
Pyramids:  I wanted to learn more about the Assassins Guild...hope that is in a later book.
Guards! Guards!:  Intro to The Watch and Sam Vimes, started a little on the down side but I really like how it ended. Also, love The Librarian!
Eric: Good fun but not my fav.


 Miner's Lettuce-we all had to try a bit-not bad!

Graphic novels/comics
Ms Marvel, 1-2:  Excellent!!
Hardy Boys:  oof, this is not really good, entertaining and short, but...I don't need the next one.
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery:  Big book 1, vol. 1-3:  The neighbor has been devouring these.  Totally well written, but a little too gross for me to read a lot.

-by Ian Flemming
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:  I love this from my childhood and had to re-read it....and then realized I was missing the last 20 paged-had to order a used copy that looks alike to finish-phew!

-by David Sedaris
Lets Talk About Diabetes With Owls:  listened to this as an audio book read by the author-excellent. Not as funny as his first books, but worth hearing.


-by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children:  Has been on my list to read for years-finally!  Nicely written, keeps you moving along.  Good mix of a standard coming of age with supernatural.

-by Susan Cain
Quiet:  I am a little late to this and so maybe I have already heard all the best parts from other folks/internet, but it felt like it could use a little editing.  But the content is excellent and good to think about.

-by Arnaldur Indidason
Jar City:  Mystery set in Reykjavik!  I think I read it a couple years ago, but no harm in a good re-read.

-by Gregory McGuire
After Alice:  meh.  I love the concept of the rework of a classic story and I even like that this is from the POV who follows Alice. I still didn't love it, I find his writing hit or miss....and yet I continue readying them.

-by Lee Jackson
Dirty Old London The Fight Against Filth:  The history of how we collectively get rid of our waste when we start being urban beings.  Super interesting-everything from horse waste, people waste, corpses, ash.

-by Tolkien
The Hobbit:  Did this by audio book on a long road trip.  Obviously excellent.

-by Deborah Howe
Bunnicula:  Also audio book on the road trip.  I remember this from my youth and it didn't disappoint!


No comments:

Post a Comment