Thursday, September 20, 2018

WorldCon San Jose, Aug 2018

WorldCon San Jose, Aug 2018


Midsummer Night's Dream

I'm a big fan of trying out new things.  This year that meant going to WorldCon simply because it was nearby.  It's a gathering of science fiction writers and fans and the random assortment of folks who have found their tribe with this group.  It must be one of the oldest conventions around.  We do read/watch a fair bit of science fiction but we are not writers and don't know this crowd so this is my very small view into the world.

 Cthulhu priest

Costuming got highlighted in the main hall and I was delighted by the diversity of fandoms represented.
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Spy vs. Spy

Dr. Who


Cool badges!

I got to  hear Jo Walton read from her upcoming book!  There were a couple of readings that should have been in bigger rooms but overall the spaces were busy but not over-crowded.  I also attended panels on putting together anthologies, a fan review of Babylon 5 and The Making of Coco (my favorite).

 Hugo awards are a big deal and the exhibit on the trophies was cool.  The trophy itself always has the rocket but is redesigned each year and hand crafted.

Pretty!

Another exhibit was on slide rulers. They even gave a tour, which we couldn't make, but I found delightful that it existed.


Cylindrical slide rule-who knew?  Quite a few people I'm sure and now me.

Frank Hayes was a guest of honor with both an exhibit and a featured talk on a topic totally new to me-filk music.  That is sci-fi/fantasy themed songs in a folk music style. So a sea shanty about space pirates.  And the classic Never Set the Cat on Fire. 


I love learning from people who have a passion for their niche.  I doubt I will listen to more filk music.  I'm just happy it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment