Sunday, November 21, 2010

New York City

Ah-NYC.  I love visiting New York.  Visiting old favorites and finding new ones.  This visit is E---and I to see Pee Wee Herman on Broadway-but that is not until Sunday night and we arrive Saturday morning so there is plenty of time to do other things as well.  I hate to feel like I'm losing a whole day to air travel which means a few hours of really terrible sleep.  This is the first time I'm trying a neck pillow-everyone else uses them so they must be good for something-it turns out it doesn't do what I want it to!  Doesn't it look like it is supposed to hold your neck up?  Not so much.
 
Train into New York and our first nostalgia stop-Tom's Restaurant.  Most people will know this as the res RESTAUANT sign from Seinfeld, but we ate here as undergrads when it was famous for being in the Suzanne Vega song ("I am sitting in a diner on the corner....").  I remember mostly burgers and fries and milkshakes but go for breakfast-y French toast and sausage.  The thing is they have spruced up the place a little by replacing the cracked leatherette seats and the menus...but the atmosphere is actually still the same.  They have specific rules that are posted and don't even try to defy them.  Food is homey, unpretentious, and likely to put you into a food coma if you order too much.  Perfectly nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment