Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Crangrapemon my answer to the Cherpumple

Thanksgiving 2014

If you have been on the internet recently, you have seen the Cherpumple, special for Thanksgiving.  Clearly Charles Phoenix is a genius-we saw one of his holiday shows and it was hilarious.  Clearly the world needs a turducken of desserts.  But I am not about all that crust and I don't want to frost that, or try to serve it.  Instead I found a way to make it our own-lemon bars and grape pie/tart baked inside cranberry cornmeal poundcake.

Big success!

First a bottom crust straight out of Betty Crocker

and lemon bars.  A classic!  My twist is that it is not lemon, but rangpur limes.  Unfortunately in the final product we couldn't really tell-so much sugar!

mmmmm, lime bars.

Grape pie filling-made from Concord grapes, a little extra work, but worth it.  This time I used cornstarch as a thickener, but I want to try to find ClearJel.

I put the grape filling on the same crust as the lime bars.


Ready to go!

Then I cut the bars into long strips

L prepared her special cranberry cornmeal poundcake recipe, which is never exactly the same, but always works out.  For the bottom cake layer we left out the cranberries, the started adding the bars

The lime bars were perfectly sturdy, but the grape was a little messy.

But it worked out okay!  We dropped in cranberries between the layers

And then added the rest of the pound cake mix.

Woo hoo!

1 comment:

  1. yeah! I'm super happy with the way this turned out! Another Thanksgiving tradition in the making?

    ReplyDelete