Thursday, June 2, 2016

Books and Roses March-May 2016

Books and Roses  March-May 2016

My Disneyland Rose bush has survived and thrived!  Every spring I take this same set of pictures and I'm still not tired of it

I started the month with a hankering for some childhood books so I read the set of Ramona books by Beverly Cleary that I happen to have-fun afternoon!


Patience....

-by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby:  For some reason I didn't read this in high school.  I listened to the audio book and then watched the Baz Luhrman movie.  The movie really brought to life themes that I had read but hadn't seen, especially class differences.  And then I watched the Crash Course videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9Au9OoN88
which did a great good being the English teacher.  Now I feel totally caught up on the Great American Novel.

-by Mindy Kaling
Is everyone Hanging Out Without Me?:  Love her!  Loved this!  Short fun read, I totally want to be friends with Mindy!



They start deep pink and turn light orange as they open-so cool!

-by Langston Hughes:  Collected Works, Vol 1, 2 and 3:  I am not much of a poetry person, put picked up this short reading challenge crash course video again.  Even though the challenge was to read just a few poems, our library had his complete works.  So I ended up reading almost everything because I actually enjoyed it!

-by Scott Lynch
The Lies of Locke Lamora:  fun fantasy centered around a clever thief.  Love the world building in this book.


Enhanced?

-by Leah Remini
Troublemaker  Surviving Hollywood and Scientology:  She was the star of King of Queens, which I didn't actually watch, but no matter.  Good insight as promised.

-by Chang-Rae Lee
On Such a Full Sea:  Catching up on previous years best sellers.  Near future after environmental and economic disasters....follows one woman who doesn't just do what is expected.  Leaves you with an unclear ending, but still satisfying.





-by Rainbow Rowell
Carry On:  The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow and then a second book Landline:  Found this new author thanks to the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast-OMG I love her writing!  Definitely YA light fantasy.  So far a lot of focus on relationships.

-by Randall Monroe
What if?  Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions:   How long would you last if you lost all you DNA?  What if all the rain in one storm fell in one drop?  Can you make a Lego bridge from NYC to London?  A great palate cleanser.





-by Stephen Pastis
Timmy Failure, Mistakes Were Made and Timmy Failure, Now Look What You've Done:  From the neighbor boys, the author does the Pearls Before Swine cartoon which is not really my fave, but since these are for a very young audience they were quick reads.

-by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove:  I put this on hold at the library just because it was on the best-seller list...and it was so perfect for me.  Even though it doesn't take long to figure out what the basic story is going to be, the specifics and the writing kept me engaged.  I am a sucker for emotional manipulation and enjoyed crying my way through the end.




Free Comic Book Day happened in here and I read about 20 of the ones we collected.  So far Mouse Guard and Gwenpool are my favorites even though they are so completely different...Bob's Burgers and Archie also popped to the top for me.

-by Thornton Wilder
Our Town:  Helen Hunt spoke at the Unique Lives series and gushed over Our Town...and I had never read it, even though it was on my shelf.  It is incredibly short and a good read, Carpe Diem!

Apple blossoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment