Thursday, June 28, 2018

Books and succulents Oct-Dec 2017

Books and succulents Oct-Dec 2017

-by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki
This One Summer:  Graphic novel about real life events.  From the POV of the young teen most of the time.  I like graphic novels that most people would think should be plain novels.

Moriarty:  I will always read another retelling of anything Sherlock.  Not amazing but fast and fun enough to be worth it.

-by Ann Liecke
Provenance:  Not as awesome as the previous serious, but set in the same world, which I like.   We know some things about the world but see the info from a different perspective.

-by Charlie Jane Anders
All the Birds in the Sky:  Science + Magic?  Science vs. Magic?  Can recommend for sci-fi and fantasy folks.

-by Jonas Karlsson
The Invoice:  Cannot at all remember who recommended this to me but glad I read it.  A reminder to enjoy life and be in the moment.

-by Patrick O'Brien
Master and Commander:  I listened to this on audio book and found it was a great way to not worry about the nautical details of rigging and sails.

-by Lemony Snicket
All The Wrong Questions, Who Could That Be At This Hour?, When Did You See Her Last?, and Shouldn't You Be In School?:  His latest set of children living in a world of incompetent and malicious adults.

-by Gary Chapman
5 Love Languages: Super great concept that is easy to understand and implement and can make a difference in any relationship you want to improve.  Some of the perspective, especially the last chapter is troubling because it is written by an old white guy who doesn't understand his privilege, but was easy for me to ignore.

-by Robin Sloan
Sourdough:  Loved this!  But it is set in Silicon Valley, filled with foodies and technology and I have recently been making sourdough bread, so it hits all the right spots for me.  I like stories that are set in almost the real world-recognizable but a bit fantastic too.

-by Gregory Maguire
Egg and Spoon:  I liked this more than many of his others.  Maybe because it is less complicated and I usually feel bogged down by his secondary plots?  Loved this version of Baba Yagae.
My succulents are a random grab bag-many are cuttings from other folks.  Even if I never get around to putting them together in some sort of organized way they are fun to have around.

No comments:

Post a Comment