Thursday, February 18, 2021

Books and Chocolate: October 2020 - January 2021




I did not read as many books as I had planned on, but way more than I would have guessed, given the circumstances of 2020!

-by Becky Chambers
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet:  Fantastic!!  Space fantasy / sci-fi.  The super fun type.  Way stranger aliens than most in the genre and yet it is a ton about the relationships, with people that you like.  Can't wait for the next one!

-by Ibram X Kendi
How to be Anti-racist:  Very of the moment.  It is a great mix of the deeply personal version of his life and an academic writing style that makes the reading super fast.  I am already on board and didn't feel like it gave me enough specific tools on how to be anti-racist.  But it did help clarify some language for me, definitely recommend.

Celebrated the end of 2020 with a giant box of Jacques Torres chocolate.  Everything was fantastic.  The cocoa has solid bits that melt slowly.  

-by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Mysterious Benedict Society:  Read a review that talked about how this kids book eerily fits in with 2020 in America.  They were not wrong!  And a pretty fun read, not interesting enough for me to read more in the series. Elementary reader

-by SJ Kincaid
Diabolic:  Nothing surprising in the plot, all newness is in the POV.  Kept me reading, but not sure I need the rest of the series.  If you want the more adult version, try Gideon the 9th.



-by Varian Johnson and Shannon Wright
Twins:  Graphic novel on par with Telgemeier...in fact they have a nod to Smile in the book.  Super cute, about twins becoming their own person.  Would totally read more from Varian, love the art style of Shannon.

-by Nicola Yoon
Everything Everything:  Reminds me of John Green.  YA. I would read more, even though I can't remember the details.



-by Amy Timberlake
Skunk and Badger:  Elementary reader.  Super cute.  About learning to be friends with someone with different points of view.

-by Ann Patchet
Small Wonders:  Last time I had to put this in the 'didn't finish' pile.  But it came back into my queue! I loved so much about this book...but hated the ending!  It leaves some threads open and gives most people their happy-ish ending.  But there is one child and I'm not sure if the intent is that his ending is happy or not.  I was distressed, but the book is memorable.



-by Darcie Little Badger
Elatsoe:  Teens solving a murder, with a good bit of supernatural.  Middle reader.

-by Kelly Yang
Front Desk:  Child of immigrant parents who are running a motel.  Super fun, based on her life.  Middle reader.


-by Allie Brosch
Solutions and Other Problems:  Few things can make me laugh as hard as Allie's blog and first book, Hyperbole and a Half.  This is not quite as good, and it goes a bit more adult.  

-by Natalie Zina Walschots
Hench:  What if your life was working for a Villain?  You would have a different view of Super heros for sure.  Tight writing, just enough story to move forward and great characters.  I hope she writes more.



-by Martha Wells
All Systems Red:  First in the Murderbot Diaries.  Sentient robot or augmented human...our protagonist is right in the middle.  Love the novella format.

Didn't finish
-by Eric Gansworth
Apple:  This might not be the best first book to read as it is autobiography.  Poetry adjacent.  I read about 1/3.  Might read more if I didn't feel like I have sooooo many in my tbr pile.


No comments:

Post a Comment