Thursday, October 7, 2021

Books and fall plants July - September 2021

 What I've been reading and fun fall plants I saw on my walk.  

People are starting their Halloween decorations-fun
-by Christina Soontornvat
A Wish in the Dark:  Nice story of justice, befriending you enemies, it all works out in the end.  Not super memorable a few months later.

-by Nghi Vo
The Empress of Salt and Fortune:  Great story packed into a small space.  It has the bit by bit reveal of the full story as you go.

These are the fruits on a palm tree

-by Emma Newman
Planetfall:  Recommendation by the author of Murderbot stories...and like those, super competent, broken person does interesting stuff in space.  Would read more.

Multi colored Lantanas are some of my favorites.
-by Justin Torres
We the Animals:  Coming of age story.  Picked it up because it was on a library recommended list and short, lol.  


-by Alessandra Torre
The Ghostwriter:  Another story about writers.  Adjacent to thriller genre.  Also picked it up because it was on a library list.  Good read, not sure if it will be memorable in the long run.

-by Martha Wells
Network Effect:  Murderbot series!  This is the one novel in the series, love it!!

One perfect pomegranate

-by Naomi Novik
Deadly Education:  Book 1 in a series.  Think Hogwarts but much much deadlier.  Perhaps a bit over the top with shear number of baddies, but I am all in for the story and relationships.  The second book comes out soon!

End of season roses

-by Kelly Yang
Three Keys:  a follow up to Front Desk, YA, relentlessly upbeat, but fun and fresh.

- by Kate Stayman-London
One To Watch:  Famous by social media, Bea becomes the first fat lady on a Bachlorette type reality show.  A fast read, but nothing really surprising in the story.  Good ending.


-by Gretchen Rubin
Happier at Home:  One of her earlier books.  Follow on to her Happiness Project with some nice ideas.  Not strictly necessary if you have read her later stuff, but easy to finish.


-by Lauren Oyler
Fake Accounts:  Not sure how to classify this, adjacent to thriller type fiction, but only for a small percent of the book.  My biggest take-away was that she convincingly writes about the effect social media has on one mental health and thoughts.  I wanted to see the ending, which was mostly satisfying, but there is a large chunk in the middle that you can skip if you aren't feeling it.

Artichoke!

-by Pamela Ribon and Cat Farris
My Boyfriend is a Bear:  Short graphic novel.  Story is exactly as the title says.  Super cute and worth the time.


-by Kim Harrison
Dead Witch Walking:  First in a series.  World has a virus apocalypse, halves the human population, but not the witches, vampires, pixies etc.  I like the idea, but the style is too non-stop.  The cranky guys is always cranky, the vampire tension only shuts down for 5 seconds at a time, etc.  Fine for an airplane read.


-by Cynthia Ozick
The Messiah of Stockholm:  Hmm, super literary short novel.  The author has popped up here and there and I figured I should read something she wrote.  I don't think I need to read more though.

Passion fruit flower and then fruit

DNF

-by Hank Green
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing:  Only got through the first chapter and just couldn't get into it before time was up.  Not meant to be at this time.

-by Earl Stanley Gardner
The Case of the Lazy Lover:  I remember loving these as a kid.  My aunt had a huge set of them.  There was a waitlist for the electronic version at the library.  Are they popular again?  I read about a third and it just seemed so boring.   

-by Torrey Peters
Detransition, Baby:  Not bad, just not as exciting as the others I was reading.  I got about 15% in, time was running out on my checkout so it fell off the bottom of the pile.


Persimmons
-by Andre Aciman
Call Me By Your Name:  I read the first third, then Wikipedia about the rest.  It is good writing, minute by minute of what is going on in a 17 yr old boys head.  Didn't feel the need to finish.


-by Jacqueline Carey
Banewrecker:  The first of two books telling a Lord of the Rings style story from the point of view of the villains.    I love the idea, but I just could not handle the style.  Just a little too...old fashioned?  turgid?  romantic? full of thuses?  This was not even a DNF but a Couldn't Get Started.  I only managed 20 pages.


 

Milkweed pods and flowers




No comments:

Post a Comment