Thursday, January 27, 2022

Green tomato salsa

 It is January 2022 and a friend gave me a flat of green tomatoes so I can try home made green salsa.

So many tomatoes!!  They all have to be cleaned, stemmed, quartered.

Trying to bring some flavor and heat.  

The trick is that green tomatoes are super firm and not really flavorful.  I'm trying the roasting trick.  Roasting makes almost everything better.  I roasted 6 sheet pans!


In progress, 4 large red onions, diced!

Next step is to add in the other chopped parts and cook together.

Because I'm going to keep the jars at room temp, the acid content has to be high enough.  For these projects I follow the official Ball Canning recipe and use purchased lemon juice.

Even after some cooking, the tomato quarters are still intact, so I took the hand blender to the mix.  Greatly improved the consistency, way less work than chopping.

Last step is to add the cilantro and spices.  I made 4 batches simultaneously, nice and efficient!

I tried to make some batches spicier than others, but the hot peppers were not really hot.  I did put all the partially ripe tomatoes in one batch, so that came out redder, but the taste is pretty much the same.

Boiling one batch while cooking the others.  30 jars at the end!  Luckily, one person in the house loves to eat chips and salsa.  This should keep us for a few months.  I don't think it is so special that I would go out of my way to make it again.  On the other hand it is a much better use of the tomatoes than any other recipe I came across.

No comments:

Post a Comment