Thursday, April 25, 2019

Sistine Chapel puzzle Jan-March 2019

Sistine Chapel puzzle, 2,000/13,200 pieces



Decades ago I received a 12,000 piece puzzle of the Sistine Chapel.  It was extremely satisfying to finish!  Took a full year and took over the living room.

When I found this companion puzzle 5 years ago I knew I had to have it.

Since I budget a whole year to finishing something this size I have to start soon after Thanksgiving.  2019 is the year of this puzzle!

Each bag is 1/6 of the puzzle and is only a single area of the whole.  So really you are doing 6 puzzles of ~2000 pieces each.  It's still pretty tough. (cat feet for scale)

A package of reconstitutable glue and a glue spreader (little spatula for glue!  so cute!).  

I started with the hardest 1/6 section - the one with the most blue.  It begins with color sorting.

The greens and browns were pretty easy to put together.

Flesh color was pretty easy.

The border between blue and other colors was pretty easy.

Dark blue was not too bad.

Blue gray and the dark gray crack was not too bad.

Ugg.  Now all that is left is light blue.  A lot of light blue.

I sort by shape and painstakingly work through the options, slowly closing in the open areas. 

I use the coins to mark spots that I am working on because if you take out a piece you have to know where it goes back!

Closed off the top left area!

Powered through from the above picture to the finished one below in one solid Saturday.

Done! (Well, 1/6 done anyway)  Stay tuned for future sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment