Thursday, April 4, 2019

Books and succulents Jan - March 2019

Books!

This year I hope to read even more than I have in the past few years.  Aiming to increase from ~70 to ~100.  On that list I have a large number of lent to me books.  Also the DiscWorld series...I have only made a small dent and they are fun and fast.  Also the list of recommended from a trusted source.  Yikes!
Succulents!  It has been too long since I photographed my succulents.

-by Gary Chapman
The 5 Love Languages of Teenagers:  Good follow up to the original-same basis, different focus.  Still have to look past some of the outdated thoughts, but worth it if you can really absorb the idea of listening first.

One of the neighbors, freshly trimmed.

-Gabriele Oettingen
Rethinking Positive Thinking: I took a course on Happiness and it led me to this technique/book.  Highly recommended.  The basic idea is that just thinking about what good thing you want in the future is not enough.  You need to add on some thinking about what is in the way and then plan what will you do about it when you encounter the obstacle.  Then your subconscious takes over and helps you along the way, or helps you figure out you don't really want the thing you thought you wanted.  The most helpful book/technique I've found since the Four Tendencies. 


I love the fun pot

-by Carl Barks
Uncle $crooge and the Seven Cities of Gold:  A compendium put out by Fantagraphics.  There is a family friend who is a huge $crooge McDuck fan.  Carl Barks is one of the most revered in the comics world and you just can't go wrong.  This series is cool because they put together stories from the same era and then have a mini review in the notes section.


but I should replant them already because some of them are hiding.

-by Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi
The Dam Keeper:  Short, graphic novel...I only read book 1, its gorgeous, sad.   Borrowed it, hope they buy book 2.  Or maybe I will check out the video.

This little guy is flowering out of control.

-by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Lost at Sea:  graphic novel, author is most known for Scott Pilgrim.  Sort of the same, sort of different-odd.  Young tweens I know love it...




-by Tamora Pierce
Circle of Magic Book 2, 3 and 4:  For the tweens I think.  Lovely set, hangs together, great voice acting, would read more of this world.  Gentle world where even though bad things happen friends stick together and it all (mostly) works out.


Each stage lasted a couple days.


-by Kate Racculia
Bellweather Rhapsody:  I can't remember where I got this recommendation but I am so happy about it!  A bit mystery, a bit coming of age, a bit of hard life stories all wrapped together.  Delightful!

Two jade plants.

-by Lianne Moriarty
Truly Madly Guilty:  Again with the fantastic airplane read.  I don't seek these out, but I run into them in unlikely places.  Will definitely read anything else she has written.

-The Husband's Secret:  If I see one I haven't read, I read it :)

Reminds me of frying pans :)  They have been growing in full sun so are a brilliant red though they started green.

-by Micol Ostow
Riverdale a Prequel: The Riverdale tv show is a great teen soap opera.  The plot is convoluted and twisted beyond reality, the day to day lives of the 'ordinary teens' is as far away from reality as you can get and they characters are not always consistent with themselves.  And yet...we can't NOT watch as Cheryl and Veronica wear their black catsuits to rescue Betty from the nuns keeping her a prisoner.  The writers seem to be having great fun and some episodes are stuffed full of cultural references that make you appreciate the cheesy writing.  So anyway, when I saw this prequel at Target I snatched it up and read it through that afternoon.  Then I had to check out the author who managed to capture the feel of the show so perfectly.  Turns out she is super interesting, started as an editor and now writes original stuff and tie-ins.  I would totally read more by her!  All this is to say that you should almost certainly not read it if you are not already watching the show, but I loved it :)

Same plant, but outside.  Squirrels tried to eat it :(

-by Jesse Andrews
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl:  I only knew that this is popular when I put in on my library holds...turns out to be YA and a super fast read.  Are YA novels about kids who are friends with a kid dying of cancer now a whole genre?  I feel like I have read a bunch of them.  Refreshing writing style, not sure the character is totally believable but not a problem for the very few hours this took.  Made me laugh out loud a little.


-by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Emperor of All Maladies A Biography of Cancer:  Many people have already said this is a great book-won a Pulitzer!  They are not wrong.  Super clear and concise for the layperson, lots of references for the scientist, compelling personal stories, this comes at you from all angles.  It is hefty - emotionally and page wise.  I started in 2018 and finished all the books listed above in between reading this one ;)


-by Philip Reeve
Mortal Engines: Has been on the list for a bit, YA futuristic fantasy, now a movie.  What if cities were mobile, ran around eating other cities?  That is the background world for this coming of age story.  Well written, neat world.


-by Svetlana Chmakova
Crush: my tween friend recommended-graphic novel about life in middle school when you get a crush.  Super cute, great characters, realistic story line.  Optimistic about problems but age appropriate.

Awkward: Ran and got this one from the library.  Same idea, more great characters and story.

Brave: And then got this one from the library :)   They were all delightful, will happily read any more in the series.

-by Paulo Coelho
The Alchemist: meh  This won some awards and was reprinted so I've been seeing it around.  I got it out of the library and quite happy about that because I do not need this on my shelf.  Slightly fantastical boy goes on a quest journey blah blah blah.  Well written but I don't find it all that.


-by Moon and Ba
De: Tales  Short stories, in graphic novel form.  Not super memorable but fast and lightly interesting.  Plus I tried out a new online library check out service.

Bought these at Trader Joe's around Halloween.  Love them!!

-by John Green
Turtles All the Way Down:  Classic John Green.  Teens having thoughts and trying relationships.  Excellent description of the internal voice of someone with self-harming thoughts.  Don't read too many in a row.


-by Liz Braswell
Once Upon a Dream: Disney has a new set of books that are retellings of the classic tales.  This one is sleeping beauty but adds a full modern layer.  I love a good re-telling and this was satisfying if not spectacular.

This is a neighboring cactus but I had to check out the flower.

-by Brian Selnick
The Invention of Hugo Cabret: I missed a bunch of this book because I listened to it and turns out it is more of a graphic novel.  Historical fiction for kids, turned into a movie.  Just alright for me but I can see how some love it.


Wild lilac going spring crazy.  

I am a little behind on numbers of books I hoped to read but only by a little. Bring on April!

No comments:

Post a Comment