Thursday, May 30, 2019

Monet at the de Young, Spring 2019

Monet at the de Young, Spring 2019

Monet was the first artist I loved.  I wasn't really exposed to much art until a college class and Monet is so easy to love.  Not too abstract, not too realistic, nice studies of the same scene under different lighting conditions.  And then I kind of overdosed on it (yup, I  bought the poster for my dorm room feeling all sophisticated).  

When a local museum holds a big exhibit, I'm going.  Of course there were water lillies.



The focus was on his later years and included a number of paintings I'd never seen.  These irises drew me in.

The water lilies are versions I hadn't seen before.  We learned about the water lilies pond.  It was no accident.  He picked the spot and had it cleaned of construction dust daily!


Japanese bridge near and far.  We spent some time moving towards and away paintings in this exhibit, the feeling changed and some were just much "better" from further away.  Here the bridge is in yellow/green tones (spring colors to me)


Here in red/orange (fall colors to me)

and cool blue/white.

Nicely positioned near each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment