Thursday, June 13, 2019

de Young Art Museum, spring 2019

de Young Art Museum, spring 2019

After seeing the Monet exhibit at the de Young we checked out the rest of the museum.  

I can't believe that I have missed the Turrell that is right here at the de Young!  

Now I will want to go back under different lighting.  


Whimsical outdoor sculptures


I love interesting patterns, both the item and the shadows.


This is so gorgeous in person - hard to capture it completely.

I love the whole room.  It is festive overall and each piece bring something different.

My favorite natural force is erosion.

So we had to hang out and watch this one work.  I love that this is a museum piece, it is so odd and strange, especially given that it is kind of old.  And what is up with the succulents?  Do they replace them?  Does someone water them?


Famous quilts from Gee's Bend

I've seen another piece from this artist....somewhere...makes me get up close and check out the details.


It's large!

It's sculptural - why does he want it off the wall?  How does he get it to stay that way?

The material is interesting - metal wraps from drink bottles.  All basically the same, but never exactly the same.

We got to talking about how hard it must be to put these large/awkward/fragile/expensive up and/or to move them around.  Shortly after there appeared this article about moving art!


Modern art pattern but reminds me of quilts.



Fans of the 18th century

We learned that the fans were basically a type of language-to let potential lovers know how interested you were.  Yikes!  Imagine not knowing that and just using it as a fan?!?  Sitcom set-ups of the 18th century :)

Wire sculptures by Ruth Asawa  I love these again both the item (on the left) and the shadow (on the right)!  She got a Google Doodle recently - yeah artists!


No comments:

Post a Comment