Thursday, January 30, 2020

Hakone Gardens, January 2020, part I

Hakone Gardens, January 2020, part I

A local treasure, Hakone Gardens

I haven't been in at least a decade but am now adding this to visitors to-do list.  

The garden was inspired by the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition.  The one held in the Palace of Fine Arts up in San Francisco.  


For some reason I was really into taking two pictures of the same thing.  One close-up and one further away.  Like the berries on this shrub.


Or the bamboo framed by the window. 


Lots of pictures of trees

Fence construction is cool.  The intersection of poles is held together by wrapping strings.


I can't think of any other place I've seen a bamboo garden.  It showcased at least 3 different types of bamboo.


Left over root systems of bamboo


All so creepy looking!


Small field of short bamboo, all about knee high.

Tall bamboo on terraces.


The handrails in the bamboo garden are made of bamboo.


I know bamboo grows quickly, but these must be decades old.



Near the bamboo garden are some lanterns





No comments:

Post a Comment