Thursday, April 18, 2024

Auckland War Memorial Museum, Aug 2023

The War Memorial Museum in Auckland has everything!  We visited with the whole family and everyone had different favorites.

The dino is front and center as you enter.  

Ritual washing basin. I like when functional things are beautiful.

The entrance space is wonderful, lots going on, but open.

There is of course a ton of Maori culture.  The Maori Court Building and ocean canoe are amazing and I couldn't capture them.  

On the smaller side I love the weaving and decorative arts.



How fun are these guys!  Reminds me of crochet.



I feel I've seen something similar in the de Young-will have to take a closer look next time.



A modern take on Maori culture is presented as well.

The natural history section is big on volcano info!  There is a mock living room where you watch the news as a tsunami after shock hits the house.  Then they give you info on how to prepare-safety first!



I love netsuke.  Now that I look for them they pop up a lot!


The name War Memorial referred initially to WWI and a big gallery is the listing of those who died in WWI.  They have other exhibits, but this is clearly the center.

There was a photography exhibit.  A peek into the lives of New Zealanders in the 1950 and 60.  Great stories all around


Back in Natural History...there were some great hands on explore areas for kids.  The one that caught me was Tonny's world of Sand.  Just, started collecting sand, labeled them all and just never stopped!

Also they built this tree!  See the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment